Monday, September 05, 2011

just another wake up call


As a student nurse, we are often reminded to treat each patient we have as if they're family, a friend or someone we value deeply. Yet, a daily dose of pain, cries and loss is enough to make yourself immune and just but numb. An injection seems so ordinary, cries don't bother you much and  death - inevitable. I, again was put into test but this time i am my teacher, my workplace and reality (biting) is my teacher.

Situation 1:  Someone I know had an acute abdomen.
He's sometimes/most of the times the life at the ER. The subject of "kulitan" of the "league of nurse men" when life there is dull and at it's slowest pace. He mans his place single-handledly (occassional relievers here and there) but in totality it's his territory. But then yesterday, it was different - seeing him in such pain was unbearable. I can't stand seeing him in that situation. Sweaty, guarded and almost "sinasapian" (possessed) every time pain visits him (it's on and off initially). I was so hurt and scared for him that I don't even want to go into his room but I had to and I have to. It was entirely a different feeling since it's someone you deeply know. It's not like the care for the patient you don't know is less it's such that the pain they have stabs and cuts more deep into you, the gravity is intense. Even our beloved ROD worries exponentially at the sight of him in agony.


Situation 2: My mom on one hand, had dizzy spells again. It was nothing serious since her vitals were stable but she decided to admit her self to a hospital for a work up. (remember that I've blogged about scheduling her for a series of tests just to make sure everything's fine)
I'm not the "atribida" type of person but since you're (i am) in the medical field you get to question every little detail of care. You get too nosy about the medications, tests and iv fluid that is not running or is delayed. I often get irritated at relatives that are so "makulit" about those things but I sure sounded a bit like one yesterday.
Coming to realize that I should also be patient, (but believe me when I say that I am enduring and not easily provoked) extending few more patience is never, ever bad. So if a situation calls for you to be extra careful and understanding, remind yourself to close your eyes, inhale deeply and think that he/she is family.

No comments: